When rolling out the Discover option, many were disappointed that the best friends feature had been disabled. Snapchat employees swore that it would be back, and fans finally got what they wanted…sorta.
Introducing Friend Emojis
Instead of being able to see someone’s best friend, Snapchat created a more private way to see who you are closest too, and how they feel about you. According to techcrunch.com, here is a directory of what the different emojis mean:
- 💛- Gold Heart – You’re #1 Best Friends – The person you send snaps to most sends snaps to you most too
- 😬- Grimace/Grit Teeth – You Have A Mutual #1 Best Friend – The person you send snaps to most is also who this person sends snaps to most
- 😊– Smile – One Of Your Best Friends – This is one of the people you send snaps to most
- 😎- Sunglasses – You Have A Mutual Best Friend – One of the people you send snaps to most is also one of the people this person sends snaps to most
- 😏- Smirk – You’re Their Best Friend But They’re Not Yours – You’re one of the people they send snaps to most, but they’re not one of the people you send snaps to most
- 🔥- Fire – You Two Are On A Snapstreak – You and this person have sent snaps back and forth for the number of consecutive days shown
Snapchat decided to hide this update, and say in the description it was just “bug fixes and improvements to make Snapchat faster”. Snapchat hid the directions to use these emojis in their Discover Channel.
Emojis were not the only thing added. The update also contained a low-light camera option in the shape of the moon. When turning it on, it automatically brighten what you are looking at, making it perfect for snapchats at night.
Why do some people need love?
You may have noticed a section under your list of “recents” called “Needs Love”. Snapchat is now reminding you to send snaps to people you haven’t in a while. It does not mean that they aren’t getting any “snap love”, just not from you.