IMG SOURCE: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id972909677
Twitter just debuted their new app, Periscope, which is very similar to the popular Meerkat that I touched on last week. #livestream trend anyone?
What You Need To Know
- Who created it? Twitter bought it from a small company; its been in Beta Mode but was just released to the public Thursday, March 26.
- What do you do? It has the same function as Meerkat. The main difference is that it is fully integrated with your Twitter. When first downloading, you have to sign in with your Twitter account information. Then you select some of your (twitter) followers and get push notifications when any of your favorites start a live-stream. On the main page, you can also watch random streams from people all over the world, and it automatically refreshes!
- What is the purpose? It gives people a look into what you are doing at that exact time. I could watch someone in France climb the Eiffel Tour, all from the comfort of my own bed.
- Who is using it? Anyone who is anyone. News anchor, celebrities, even normal, everyday people have gotten hit by the live stream bug.
- What does a stream look like? I personally haven’t tested the stream option (still a bit creeped out by it). While watching someone else stream though, it shows a map of where the broadcaster is from, the title and name of the person broadcasting, and a chat like feature which lets viewers comment while watching and broadcasters respond while streaming.
Here are some screenshots of the app so you can get the feel of it!